des Champs 1 - 2
254, rue Saint-Martin, 75003 Paris
Orgue de tribune
1572 - Jacques Pigache
1632 - Paul Maillard, Crespin Carlier
1666 - Pierre Thierry, François Ducastel
1688 - Antoine Vincent
1732 - L.A. Clicquot
1776 - F.H. Clicquot
1825 - Dallery
1854 - Ducroquet
1930 - Gonzalez
2008 - Denis Lacorre
Photo GO: Jeroen de Haan
The Church of Saint Nicolas des Champs was part of
the former Abbey of Saint Martin des Champs. It was
built after 1420 and enlarged in 1541. The church in its
present form was built in 1615. The tower and parts of
the nave still dates from the 15th century, the top
portion of the tower dates from the 17th. Restauration
in the 19th century. It is the only church in Paris which
still has its retable: a work of the master Simon Vouet
created in 1629.
The organ was built by Francois-Henri Clicquot, using
the case of the Great-Organ of Carlier built in 1633
(using parts from 1572) and extending it laterally. Saint
Nicolas is residing on the centre turret of the GO
surrounded by angels-musicians.
In 1930 a récit expresif was added. In 2008, some
maintenance works were carried out which made the
organ playable again.
All wind-chests date from before the revolution (F.H.
Clicquot, récit: L.A. Clicquot). 40 out of the 58 stops are
old. Mechanical transmission with Barker at the GO.
This organ is probably the most authentic of all organs
from before the revolution in Paris. Its pipework is in a
relatively good condition, not cut and on its orginal place
on the windchest. It´s worth a thorough restauration!
Site of the organ
Vincent Genvrin & François Ménissier
Famous organists in the past:
Nicolas Gigault, Louis Braille and Michel Chapuis.
Messes avec orgue
Saturday 6.30 PM Sunday 11 AM
Other organs in Paris in French-classical style
ORGUES DE PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ACCUEIL S-Z